Smokies Spring Ski Walking School
The roots of Nordic Walking go back to Scandinavia in the 1930s/40s, when competitive cross-country skiers began experimenting with ways of staying fit during the snowless summer months. They came up with a dry-land training
method without skis, and just using the skiing poles. A series of sports medicine studies in the 1980’s positively correlated the use of walking poles with easy, high fitness levels and the game was on! Nordic Walking increases calorie burn up to 40% more than walking without poles if done correctly. The school will teach the proper ski walking technique, while you make new friends and enjoy the out-of-doors.
March 26 – May 21
5:30 PM – 7:00 PM
Monteith Park Dillsboro, NC
The Benefits of Ski Walking:
- Increased circulation
- Increased upper body strength & endurance
- Increased heart & lung capacity
- Increased heart rate without increased perceived exertion
- 20% higher metabolic rate which equals 400kcal/hour vs. 280kcal/hour for walking
- 30% decreased stress on weight bearing joints
- Better support and balance on slippery surfaces & rough terrain
Ski walking Poles provided. Please call the Jackson County Extension Office for registration and for specifics of class 586-4009.
Article submitted by Jackson and Swain County Extension Director Robert J. Hawk, 586-4009 or 488-3848 or email Robert at “email@example.com“