Sweet Treats Bake-Off for Kids
Here’s a chance to stir up some fun in the kitchen with your kids over the winter break. Kids can have a rewarding and educational experience learning baking techniques and candy making skills. The purpose of the Sweet Treat Bake-off for Kids is to encourage adults and youth to work together on a baking project.
This is not a traditional 4-H contest where 4-H members must do all the work themselves. Youth do not have to be enrolled in 4-H to participate. Mixes, precooked and non-cooked items can be used as the finished product. Work should be done by the youth with supervision, directions, suggestions, and help from an adult.
Entry Deadline and Award Announcement Dates:
- Entry drop-off Monday, January 4, 2021, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Awards will be announced on Tuesday, January 5.
- Open to youth 5-18 years of age: Cloverbud (5-7 years), Junior (8-12 years), Senior (13-18 years)
- Each youth must have an adult helper/partner; they work together to bake/create their entry at home, then bring to the N.C. Cooperative Extension of Swain County for judging.
- Entry fee is one non-perishable food item to be donated to a local food pantry.
Categories and guidelines:
- Cookies – all types, may be frosted but not decorated; 3 cookies/entry
- Breads/muffins/rolls – all types; quick, yeast, bread machine; 1 loaf or 3 items of smaller product
- Cakes/ cupcakes – may be frosted, not decorated; 1 cake (8×8 or 9×9) or 3 cupcakes
- Decorated items – cupcakes, cakes, cookies, gingerbread; evaluated on visual appearance and will not be tasted
- Healthy Choices – any baked product that is made with less fat, sugar or total calories by modifying a recipe, using an already modified recipe or baking a traditionally healthy product such as Angel Food cake; indicate on recipe modifications made or why this is a healthy choice
- Candies – any type; 3 items
- Every entry must include the Entry Form and recipe
- Mixes may be used in creating the product; this must be indicated on the entry form
- Cloverbuds will receive a ribbon of participation
- All entries will receive a ribbon of participation and there will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place ribbons in each category and one overall “Best in Show” ribbon
For more information call the N.C. Cooperative Extension of Swain County for more information at (828) 488-3848. Let’s send a glad farewell to 2020 with this fun cooking challenge…Happy Baking!