A Pound of Love: 4-H Pound Cake Bake-Off
Get ready, get set, bake!! Here’s your chance to bake your favorite pound cake recipe and enter it in the 4-H Pound of Love Bake-off. All flavors are welcome!
DID YOU KNOW: Pound cakes got their name from the original recipe which called for a pound each of: eggs, butter, sugar, and flour!
Material Pick-up, Entry Deadline, and Award Announcement Dates:
- Grab and Go Baking Basket that includes supplies to assist you with your baking (starter kit with basic cake dry ingredients and mini *bundt pan). Pick-up from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. on February 9 and 10, 2021.
- Entry drop-off Monday, February 15 between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Awards will be announced on Wednesday, February 17.
- Open to youth 5-18 years of age: Cloverbud (5-7 years), Junior (8-12 years), Senior (13-18 years).
- Each youth must have an adult helper/partner; they work together to bake/create their entry at home, then bring to the N.C. Cooperative Extension of Swain County for judging.
- Entry fee is one non-perishable food item to be donated to a local food pantry.
- Plain with icing
- Plain with glaze
- Flavored with icing
- Flavored with glaze
- Every entry must include the Entry Form (fill out at drop-off) and recipe
- Entries must be made from scratch, no prepared mixes allowed.
- All entries will receive a ribbon of participation and there will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place ribbons in each category and one overall “Best in Show” ribbon.
- Entry will be judged by Taste, Appearance, Consistency, and Creativity; 100 points total.
For more information, call (828) 488-3848 or contact:
Kyla-Jo Farmer, Extension Agent, 4-H Youth Development
Dee Decker, Extension Agent, Family Consumer Science