NC 4-H Photo Contest 2021
The statewide annual contest highlights North Carolina 4-H’ers’ photographic achievements. The winning photos are then displayed on the North Carolina 4-H Photo Contest website.
New category for 2021: My Best Friend (People, Pets, What/Who Ever). Capture the spirit of your best friend! Use your ace photography skills to capture your best friend in action! Whether it’s a picture taken at home or while you are traveling, we want to see those photographs. We will be reasonably all-inclusive as to what can be considered a best friend.
4-H Photo Contest Rules
All entries must be submitted NO LATER THAN August 6, 2021.
Please submit your digital entries to:
North Carolina 4-H reserves the rights to use any of the photographs received for educational purposes.
- This contest is open to North Carolina 4-H members ages 8-18. Youth must be enrolled in 4-H Online to be eligible.
- All entry photos must have been taken by the 4-H’er submitting the entry during the contest year.
- 4-H’ers must enter their photos within the division that applies (Junior: ages 8-13 OR Senior: ages 14-18). Each 4-H’er may enter only one photo in each of the three categories (“4-H in Action,” “Nature’s Beauty,” “My Best Friend”). This means that each individual 4-H’er may have up to three entries (one in each category).
- The same image may be entered in more than one category (if it applies to each category.) Photos may be in color OR black-and-white.
- PLEASE submit photographs at the highest image resolution possible in order to display high-quality images.
- All entries must include the following information:
- Name of Photographer
- Photographer email address (that is checked regularly)
- Home Address
- 4-H County
- 4-H Age as of January 1
- Parent’s/Guardian’s Name(s)
- 4-H Agent’s Name (First and Last Name)
- 4-H Agent’s email address
- Entry Age Division:
- Junior Division (Ages 8-13) OR Senior Division (Ages 14-18)
- Category: 4-H in Action, Nature’s Beauty, My Best Friend
- Picture Name and Information: Please tell us any details about your image.
Categories for the 2020 contest
- 4-H in Action: We’re looking for pictures that show us what happens at 4-H events throughout the year. The key to winning this category is the action. We want to SEE what’s happening. If it’s a judging contest, we want to feel like we’re right in the middle of the action. If it’s meeting with legislators, then we want to feel like we’re so close we could shake that person’s hand. In other words, we want the photographer to get in close and show us what really happens when 4-H’ers get together for an event or activity.
- Nature’s Beauty: Nature’s Beauty is always our biggest category and competition is fierce. Winners in this category are ultimately chosen because they exhibit superior technical skill, move in close to the subject and capture something really different. Some show beautiful things such as sunsets and ﬂowers. Others create beauty from something unexpected (mushrooms, a turtle having a snack, a dragonﬂy with torn wings, steam rising from something.) All contain strong composition, nice light and sharp focus on the subject.
- My Best Friend: Best Friends can be People, Pets, or What/Whomever. Capture the spirit of your best friend! Use your ace photography skills to capture your best friend in action! Whether it’s a picture taken at home or while you are traveling, we want to see those photographs. Be creative!
Resources for you to take the perfect picture: Take the time to research how to take the best picture possible and Practice, Practice, Practice by taking lots of pictures.
Photo Contest Judging
Judging for the NC 4-H Congress Photo Contest is performed by NC State University Communications and CALS Communications. These departments are staffed by communications professionals who are accustomed to creating and/or using photographic images as part of their own work.
Relevancy to Category Topic – Is the photo an obvious illustration of the category in which it is entered? If the picture doesn’t tell us, does the information on the entry form make it clear how the subject fits the category?
Composition/Arrangement – Are the objects in the photo arranged in a meaningful, pleasing manner or are they haphazard? Did the photographer use the best angle or otherwise interesting perspective?
Focus / Sharpness – Is the object of the photo in focus? If not in sharp focus, does it appear to be an intentional effect to enhance the image in some artistic way?
Lighting – Did the photographer use proper lighting of the subject matter? Do any extremes of darkness or brightness lend to or detract from the image content?
Creativity – Does the photographer show some creative thought or original idea in the making of this image? Is the subject something unusual or is the content of the photo presented in a way we haven’t seen before?
Please remember to submit your entries NO LATER THAN August 6, 2021.
We’re looking forward to another great group of photographs to judge for the 2021 Contest!
Please contact Kyla-Jo Farmer with any questions you may have.