Celebrate June Dairy Month & Enter the 4-H Dairy-licious Recipe Contest
For the past 82 years, the month of June has been designated as National Dairy Month. This tradition started out many years ago as a way for local and global dairy farmers to distribute extra milk throughout the summer. Now, we celebrate the dedication, hard work and selfless men and women who help provide us with milk, yogurt, cheese and other crucial dairy products. While North Carolina has around 145 dairy farms, it is home to 42,000 dairy cows. Each dairy cow in North Carolina provides an average of 2,497 gallons of milk per year.
Celebrate June dairy month with 4-H and Land O’ Lakes! Land O’ Lakes is a company with four primary businesses that gives the world a farmer-to-fork view of agriculture. They have launched a continued partnership in celebration of World Milk Day and will continue to share content about the future of dairy farming throughout the entire month of June. Land O’ Lakes will donate $1 to 4-H for every like, comment, share and view of the various social media posts, up to $25,000! Follow along on their social media channels throughout June!
In support of June Dairy month, Swain County 4-H will be hosting a Dairy-licious Recipe Contest. What is your favorite dairy recipe? Whether it’s a snack, breakfast, dessert, drink, or dinner item, we want to know! Continue reading for more information on this ‘udderly’ awesome recipe contest.
- Encourage youth to develop dairy recipes or improve upon existing recipes in the 4-H dairy-licious recipe contest.
- Promote the importance of the Dairy Industry.
- Provide opportunities for youth to exhibit their knowledge and skill when preparing and presenting a food dish.
4-H Dairy-licious Recipe Contest Guidelines:
- Submit a photograph of the finished recipe and a description of why you chose this recipe.
- Each recipe you submit must use at least two (2) dairy products
(milk, cheese, butter, ice cream, yogurt, or any dairy-classified product).
- Submissions must include an ingredient list, an instruction list, and a photo or video of the finished product to be considered.
- Designate which category your recipe will enter in.
- Contestants can enter more than one entry; but only one entry in each category.
- Contest runs from June 11–June 30, 2021
- Any youth ages 5-18 are welcome to enter!
- “Family” made recipes are encouraged and accepted.
Ways to enter:
- Mail your favorite recipe to: N.C. Cooperative Extension of Swain County, 60 Almond School Road, Bryson City, NC 28713
- Email your recipe to Kyla-Jo Farmer at email@example.com
- Breakfast Item
- Brunch Item
- Snack Item
- Lunch/Dinner Item
- Drink Item
- Dessert item
- Attractiveness and appeal of recipe (based on photo)
- Creativeness and uniqueness of recipe
- Delicious sounding/appealing recipe
- Recipe’s story (why it’s your favorite)
For further information about June Dairy Month or any of the other many 4-H activities, clubs, events, and projects, please contact Kyla-Jo Farmer, Extension Agent, 4-H Youth Development (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the N.C. Cooperative Extension, Swain County Center at (828) 488-3848.