4-H Open All Breeds Poultry
Poultry Rules and Regulations
Youth Ages 5-18 (as of January 1, 2019) are eligible to participate.
- Ages 14 and older will be considered Senior exhibitors.
- Ages 8-13 will be considered Junior exhibitors.
- Ages 5-7 will show in noncompetitive classes only.
- Youth under the age of 5 are not eligible to participate.
Birds will be entered in single classes only.
All birds will be cared for and fed by the exhibitor.
The fair will furnish cages and cups for food and water.
All birds must be entered in the name of the bona fide owner who must have owned the birds for at least 30 days prior to deadline.
All birds are entered at the risk of the owner and the Swain County Fair will not be responsible for any loss or damage but will exercise all possible vigilance in the care of the birds. No one will be allowed to handle birds on display except the owners and officials of the show.
Judge will not award premiums to any animal because of its mere presence. It must be individually worthy. The judge has the right not to award a first place ribbon/premium if the item does not merit the placing.
Decision of the judge will be final.
Exhibitors may not accompany judge during his/her deliberations.
Birds must remain on exhibition for the duration of the fair.
- Cock: Male Bird, 1-year-old or over Cockerel: Male Bird, less than 1-year-old
- Hen: Female Bird, 1-year-old or over Pullet: Female Bird, less than 1-year-old
- Best of Show: Standard Chicken, Bantam Chicken
***Health Requirements: Birds will be blood typed by N.C. Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services Veterinary Division at the time of check-in.