Honey Product Exhibit & Judging Information Sheet
HONEY EXTRACTED CLASS
- Light 3 jars (not less than 14 oz. size)
- Dark 3 jars (not less than 14 oz. size)
- Exhibits Received:
Friday, August 16, 2019, from 8 a.m.–5 p.m. at the N.C. Cooperative Extension of Swain County office (60 Almond School Rd.) and
- Saturday, August 17, 2019, from 8–10 a.m. at the Swain Event Park (1130 Hyatt Creek Road, Bryson City)
Exhibit Pick-up: Monday, August 19, from 9 a.m.–5 p.m. at the N.C. Cooperative Extension of Swain County office.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- All honey must have been produced by the exhibitor during the current season.
- No entries may be labeled, except with entry tags.
- All exhibits must be of required color, quality, and condition in order to receive premiums and prizes.
- All extracted honey displayed must be protected from honeybees and other insects. Cellophane, glass, or other suitable transparent materials are recommended for this purpose.
- Blue Ribbon (1st Place)
- Red Ribbon (2nd Place)
- White Ribbon (3rd place)
FACTORS TO BE CONSIDERED IN JUDGING – HONEY, EXTRACTED
- Density (moisture content over 18.6% DISQUALIFIED)=15
- Absence of granulation or crystallization=10
- Cleanliness=35 (absence of lint =8, dirt =12, wax =9, and foam =6)
- Flavor: absence of overheating or fermentation=20
- Accuracy of filling and uniformity=10
- Container appearance=10
To sign-up your exhibit and for questions, contact Christy Bredenkamp, Extension Horticulture Agent at email@example.com or (828) 488-3848.