2021 4-H Beef Jerky Contest Winners
Youth in Swain County put their cooking skills to the test for a competitive beef jerky competition. Each participant was provided with a grab-and-go kit that included cuts of London Broil as well as several other ingredients in order to assist in creating their own delicious beef jerky recipes. Each entry was judged based on appearance, texture/pliability, taste and odor.
Swain County 4-H would like to say a big thank you to Jeff Shuler as he donated the beef to be used in the competition. We would also like to thank our judges for taking the time to judge all these tasty entries.
Overall Best In Show: Gabriella Sasscer, Original
- 1st place, Micah Sasscer, Sweet and Spicy
- 2nd place, Sydney Lambert, Kossowan
- 3rd place, Darien Vaughn, Smoky Sweet
- 1st place, Gabriella Sasscer, Original
- 2nd place, Carden Oetting, Uncle Kens Secret Recipe
- 3rd place, Elise Sasscer, Sweet and Tangy
Star Cloverbud Division: Killian Taylor, Sweet Mesquite
- Kadin Taylor, Cajun Beef, Senior Division
- Korbin Taylor, Sweet & Spicy, Junior Division
- Cason Vaughn, Cracked Black Pepper, Junior Division
- Eva Sasscer, Western BBQ, Junior Division
- Noah Lambert, Mesquite, Junior Division
This was a very competitive competition with multiple entries. So great job 4-Hers on your creative use of spices and marinades! You made this a very close competition. Thank you for all the yummy jerky entries!