4-H Open Market Lamb Show
Market Lamb Rules and Regulations
Youth Ages 5-18 (as of January 1, 2019) are eligible to participate.
- Ages 14 and older will be considered Senior exhibitors.
- Ages 8-13 will be considered Junior exhibitors.
- Ages 5-7 will show in noncompetitive classes only.
- Youth under the age of 5 are not eligible to participate.
Lambs shown must be ewes or wethers; no rams will be allowed to show. Lambs will be shown as Market Lambs regardless of the sex of the animal.
All lambs will be subject to mouthing when checked in and must have all temporary (baby) teeth in place at time of show.
All sheep and goats must comply with USDA and N.C. Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services Scrapie Eradication Program guidelines. Sheep and goats without scrapie tag or registration paper with corresponding tattoo information at the time of check-in will not be allowed. Scrapie Flock ID numbers must be presented at the time of check-in. Call 1-866-USDATAG or 919-855-7707 for more information. Veterinary Division staff will be onsite to inspect your animal. Show Superintendent or Judge may refuse to allow animals to enter or show that appear sick or show signs of infection.
If an exhibitor has more than one animal in a class, the second entry may be shown by another eligible youth.
There will NOT be a sale of market lambs.
Classes will be determined by the weight of the animal.
Showmanship classes will be determined by the age of the exhibitor.
- Lightweight: 1st, 2nd, 3rd
- Middleweight: 1st, 2nd, 3rd
- Heavyweight: 1st, 2nd, 3rd
- Grand Champion Market Lamb
- Reserve Champion Market Lamb
- Junior: Grand Champion Showman and Reserve Champion Showman
- Senior: Grand Champion Showman and Reserve Champion Showman